Hong Kong Popular Culture – Worlding Film, TV and Pop Music (Hong Kong Studies Reader Series)
- Published in 2020 by Palgrave Macmillan. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-8817-0
- This book traces the evolution of the Hong Kong’s popular culture, namely film, television and popular music (also known as Cantopop), which is knotted with the city’s geo-political, economic and social transformations.
- (2020) “Our Little Twins Stars: Conglomerate-catalyzed cross-media stardom in the new millennium”, in Chik, A. and Fung, A. (eds.) Made in Hong Kong: Studies in Popular Music, London & CA: Routledge.
- (2020) “China’s influence on Hong Kong’s entertainment industry: Lessons from film production”, in Fong, B., Wu, J., and Nathan, A. (eds.) China’s Influence and the Center-periphery Tug of War in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Indo-Pacific, London & CA: Routledge.
- (2019) “Youth people’s media use and social participation in Hong Kong: A perspective of digital use divide” (co-author with Lee, Alice), in Morrell, E. & Rowsell, J. (eds.) Stories from Inequity to Justice in Literacy Education – Confronting Digital Divides, London & CA: Routledge.
- (2018) “Social Movement in Spotlight and in Congress: Hong Kong and Taiwan comparison (鏡頭下和政局裡的社會運動 – 香港台灣比較研究)”, in Cheng, E. & Yuen, S. (eds.) The Age of Social Movements: Trajectory of Hong Kong contentious politics (社運年代：香港抗爭政治的軌跡). Hong Kong: The Chinese University Press.
- (2017) “Touching A Nerve: A discussion on Hong Kong’s Umbrella Movement” (co-author with Wong, E, & St. John, H.), in Brown, G., Feigenbaum, A., Frenzel, F., & McCurdy, P. (eds.) Protest Camps in International Context: Spaces, infrastructures and media of resistance. Bristol, UK: The Policy Press.
Peer-Review Journal Articles
- (2021) “Discovering, describing and digitising CCTV: Challenges and attempts of making New York Chinatown’s community television archive accessible“, Journal of Digital Media Management, 10(1), 90-102.
- (2017) “Mobilizing Resources to the Square: An exploration of Hong Kong’s Anti-Moral-and-National-Education Movement”, International Journal of Cultural Studies, 20(2), 127-145.
- (2010) “Beyond information: The socio-cultural role of the Internet in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake”, Journal of Comparative Asian Development, 9(2), 243-292.
- (2019) “Meeting Place: Encounters across cultures in Hong Kong”, The China Review, 19(3), pp.186-189.
- (2019) “Hong Kong in the Cold War”, The China Review, 18(4), pp.155-157.
- (2019) “Taiwan and the China Impact”, International Journal of Taiwan Studies, 1(2), pp.402-403.
Selected Conference Presentations
- (2020) “ ‘We Won’t Move!’: Describing and Digitizing CCTV, Chinatown’s Public Access Television”, panel discussion at Association of Moving Image Archivists (AMIA) Annual Conference, El Paso: Nov 17-20.
- (2020) “Awakening Voices from Immigrants – Study of Asian CineVision in 1970s-80s New York Chinatown”, poster presented at Archives * Records 2020 – Society of American Archivists Annual Conference, Chicago: August 3-7.
- (2020) “Awakening Voices from Immigrants – Historical research and screening of CCTV programs from 1970s-80s Manhattan Chinatown”, paper presented at Orphan Film Symposium, Amsterdam, The Netherlands: May 23-27.
- (2019) “Migrate to Taiwan from Hong Kong: A historical look into policy and media discourse” (co-author with Lee, P.S.), paper presented at North American Taiwan Studies Association (NATSA) Annual Conference, Seattle: May 17-19.
- (2019) “Spiral of Forces, Tug of War: China influences in Hong Kong Film Industry under CEPA”, paper presented at International Communication Association (ICA) Annual Conference, Washington D. C.: May 24-28.
- (2017) “Legacy, Habitus, and Repertoires: A comparative study of anti-eviction movements in Hong Kong and Taiwan”, paper presented at European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS) Annual Conference, Venice, Italy: March 2-4.
- (2017) “Multi-temporalities of Protest Songs in Hong Kong Umbrella Movement”, paper presented at American Association of Geographers Annual Conference, Boston: April 5-9.
- (2016) “What Makes the Local Identity among Hong Kong’s Post-Hand-Over Vocal Youth”, paper presented at Association of Asian Studies Regional Conference, Kyoto, Japan: June 24-27.
- (2016) “Dynamism of Media and Political Logics in Mediatization of Politics – Comparing social movements in Taiwan and Hong Kong”, paper presented at European Association of Taiwan Studies (EATS) Annual Conference, Prague, Czech: March 28-30.
- (2015) “Tech-Savvy New Citizens: An exploration to an integrated movement resource mobilization process by a Hong Kong case”, paper presented at the Conference of Mob Politics in Asia, Singapore: March 12-13.
- (2014) “Cultural Performances in Anti-Eviction Movements: A comparative studies in Hong Kong and Taiwan”, paper presented at Chinese Communication Society Annual Conference (中華傳播學會), Taipei, Taiwan: June 25-27.
- (2013) “Emancipated Theater and Empowered Audience – A study on Hong Kong Social Movement Film Festival”, paper presented at International Association of Media and Communication Research (IAMCR) Annual Conference, Dublin, Ireland: June 25-29.